What are Shrink Sleeves?
Marketers who want to make a big splash through branding use shrink sleeves to give their products that “wow” factor. Shrink sleeves are seamless full-body labels that wrap completely around the product, providing 360-degree coverage for bottles, cans, and other containers. In addition to serving as a canvas for bright, eye-catching graphics, shrink sleeves provide space for product and regulatory information and are tamper-proof for safety.
Shrink sleeve labels were first introduced by Tylenol after a product tampering tragedy in 1982. Manufacturers looking to improve the safety of consumer goods found that enclosing a container with a seamless label that perfectly conformed to products of all shapes and sizes was an effective solution. Shrink sleeves have steadily grown in popularity ever since; today, they are widely used in a wide range of industries including pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, food and beverage, cosmetic, chemical, and household goods.
How Do Shrink Sleeves Work?
Shrink sleeve labels are printed on flexible plastic or polyester film. The printed sheets are sealed together with glue on both ends while the tops and bottoms are left open to create cylindrical-shaped sleeves. Ink is applied to the inside of the sleeves instead of on top, which offers protection from smudging and fading.Next, the sleeves are placed over the container and heat or steam is applied; this shrinks the label so it conforms to the shape of the vessel. Unlike traditional pressure-sensitive labels, which are applied manually, the shrink sleeve molds perfectly to bottles and cans of virtually any size or shape.
Benefits of Shrink Sleeves
Shrink sleeves offer a number of advantages over traditional packaging and labeling methods, including:
- 360-degree coverage. Shrink sleeves offer complete coverage of the container — 150% more space than pressure-sensitive labels. This allows for attractive and eye-catching designs that can wrap around the entire product surface, as well as additional product information such as instructions, ingredients lists, expiration dates, and more.
- Tamper-evident seal. Since shrink sleeves conform tightly to the product, they provide a tamper-evident seal that serves as a protective barrier. Consumers can tell at a glance if the product has been opened or tampered with.
- Durable materials. The polymer material used in shrink sleeves is durable and resistant to moisture and other environmental factors, making the labels suitable for a wide variety of product types, including food, beverages, cosmetics, and household products.
- Versatile design options. Shrink sleeves are a great canvas for vibrant and high-quality printing, enabling brands to display intricate designs, product information, and marketing messages. This makes them a great branding tool that enhances the overall aesthetic appeal of the product, helping it stand apart from the competition.
- Product grouping. Shrink sleeves allow oddly-shaped products to be grouped together into a single packaging unit. This is a great way to offer free samples, two-for-one deals, and other promotions.
Impact Sleeves can help with your shrink sleeve packaging needs. We offer a variety of film and finish options, and our shrink sleeves can be customized for virtually any application or specific request. Contact us today for more information!